1 1/2 oz (45 g) watercress
3 oz (90 g) Edam cheese
2 tablespoons chopped spring onions
6 oz (180 g) freshly cooked beetroot
1 medium pear
1 teaspoon lemon juice
for the dressing:
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
salt and pepper
1. Break the sprigs of leaves off the top of the watercress and roughly chop the coarse stalk.
2. Cut the cheese into strips measuring about 1/4 inch x 1 1/2 inches (5 mm x 4 cm).
3. mix together the watercress, cheese and spring onions.
4. Remove the skin from the beetroot and cut into pieces roughly the same size as the cheese. Stir into the salad bowl.
5. Peel the pear, cut in quarters and remove the core. Cut into pieces roughly the same size as the cheese and beetroot. immediately toss the prepared pear in the lemon juice, to prevent it discolouring, then stir in with the other salad ingredients.
6. Place all the dressing ingredients into a small, screw-top jar and shake well to mix, or whisk them together in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and serve.