1. Blend the yeast into the tepid water, adding sugar if using dried yeast.and leave to stand untill bubbling for about 15 minutes.
2. Mix flour and salt.
3. Warm the malt, treacle and fat until just melted. Stir both sets of wet ingredients into the dry ingredients - they should form a soft, sticky dough (add more water if needed).
4. Knead on floured board until firm and elastic.
5. Divide into two, shape into oblongs, roll up like a Swiss roll and put into 2 x 1 lb loaf tins, already prepared.
6. Leave to rise until the dough fills the tins (this may take quite a while, anywhere up to 90 minutes).
7. Bake in the oven for 30 - 40 minutes, 200°C, 400°F, gas mark 6.
8. Glaze with sugar and water if desired.