60 g (4 tbsp) chick-pea (gram) flour
10 ml (2 tsp) oil
5 g (1 tsp) baking powder
2.5 g (1/2 tsp) salt
75 ml (3 fl oz) water
oil for deep frying
Any of the following vegetables can be used:
aubergines, cut into very thin rounds
onions, cut into 3 mm (1/8 in) rings
potatoes, cut into very thin rounds
cauliflower, cut into 1.5 cm (3/4 in) florets
fresh chilli, left whole
pumpkin, cut into thin slices
green pepper, cut into thin strips
1. Mix all the batter ingredients together and beat until smooth.
2. Wash the slices of vegetables and pat dry.
3. Heat the oil in a wide frying pan till very hot.
4. Dip each vegetable slice into the batter and lower into the hot oil.
5. Put as many slices as you can in the oil.
6. Fry till crisp and golden.
7. Drain and serve with Coriander Chutney.