This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
115 g (4 oz) 1/2 cup of Dairy free margarine
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 2/3 cup of rice flour
70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup of maize flour
20 g (3/4 oz) 1 1/2 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar
1 large free-range egg yolk beaten with 2 teaspoons of cold water
The grated rind, pulp and juice of 5 limes
The juice of 2 lemons
70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/3 cup of caster (superfine) sugar
4 tablespoons of Gluten free cornflour (cornstarch)
3 large free-range egg yolks
20 g (3/4 oz) 1 1/2 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
for the meringue
3 egg whites
170 g (6 oz) generous 3/4 cup of caster (superfine) sugar
24 cm (9 inch) fluted non-stick flan tin
Ceramic baking balls and baking parchment (wax paper)
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas mark 5
2. Make the pastry by mixing the 115 g (4 oz) 1/2 cup of margarine with both the flours and the 25 g (3/4 oz) 1 1/2 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar in a food processor for a few seconds.
3. Add the egg yolk and water mixture until you have a firm dough.
4. Knead briefly on a floured board and roll out enough pastry to line the flan tin.
5. Bake blind with a layer of baking parchment (wax paper) and ceramic balls, until golden (about 25 minutes).
6. Remove the balls and paper.
to make the filling.
1. Put the lime rind, pulp and juice and the lemon juice into a saucepan with 60 ml (2 fl oz) 1/4 cup of water and the 70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/3 cup of sugar and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Mix the cornflour (cornstarch) into a smooth paste with 5 tablespoons of cold water and then stir the mixture into the juices quickly.
3. Now increase the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
4. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes only. Cool and then beat in the 3 egg yolks and the 20 g (3/4 oz) 1 1/2 tablespoons of margarine.
5. Pour it into the prepared pastry.
6. Turn the oven heat down to 150°C (300°F) Gas mark 2.
to make the meringue
1. whisk the egg whites until stiff. Now whisk in half the sugar and fold in the remaining sugar with a metal spoon.
2. Pile on top of the lime pie and bake for 35 minutes Until golden.
3. Serve warm.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!