1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
50 g (2 oz) green pepper, chopped
50 g (2 oz) carrot, chopped
150 g (6 oz) brown rice
600 ml (1 pt) water or stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper
225 g (8 oz) peeled shrimps
15 g (2 tbsp) parsley, chopped
soy sauce to taste
1 packet vine leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°C) Gas 4.
2. Heat a little oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic until soft.
3. Stir in the green pepper, carrot and rice.
4. Pour on the water or stock.
5. Bring to the boil and season with salt and pepper.
6. Cover and turn the heat down low. Simmer without stirring for about 40 minutes.
7. Stir in the shrimps and cook for a further 10 minutes until liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender.
8. Stir in the parsley and season with soy sauce to taste.
9. Divide the mixture between the vine leaves and roll into tight parcels.
10. Pack the vine leaves in an ovenproof dish.
11. Pour enough olive oil over to coat, cover the dish and bake for 30 minutes until heated through.