This recipe is Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
3 tablespoons of olive oil
6 thick slices of rindless smoked back bacon, chopped
4 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
2 bay leaves
1.25 kg (2 lb 13 oz) 6 cups of canned butter (lima) beans (drained)
1 1/2 tablespoons of (Gluten free) vegetable stock (bouillon) powder
2 litres (70 fl oz) 2 quarts of water
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
1 tablespoon of chopped sage
Black pepper and grated nutmeg, salt if needed
A few drops of (Gluten free) chilli sauce/oil
1. Cook the onion and carrot in the oil in a medium saucepan until slightly soft.
2. Add the bacon, followed by the garlic and bay leaves and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Stir in the beans. Pour over the water, add the stock (bouillon) powder and bring to the boil.
4. Add half the chopped parsley and sage, plenty of seasoning and chilli sauce/oil to taste.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
6. Cool slightly before liquidizing to a smooth puree.
7. Return to the pan and reheat.
8. Serve in warm bowls with the remaining herbs sprinkled over.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!