This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
155 g (5 1/2 oz) 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of rice flour
30 g (1 oz) 2 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar
55 g (2 oz) 2/3 cup of ground almonds
85 g (3 oz) 6 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine, cut into pieces
1 large free-range egg
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
for the filling
55 g (2 oz) 1/4 cup of Dairy free margarine
3 tablespoons of (DF/GF) cocoa powder
300 ml (10 fl oz) 1 1/4 cups of golden syrup (corn syrup)
3 large free-range eggs
85 g (3 oz) 6 tablespoons of soft dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons of rum
170 g (6 oz) 1 1/2 cups of pecan nuts
24 cm (9 1/2 inch) non-stick, loose-bottomed flan tin, greased and lined with baking parchment (wax paper)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
2. Place the first four pastry ingredients into a food processor and mix briefly until it resembles crumbs.
3. Add the egg and lemon juice and process for a second or two only.
4. Bring the mixture together using a spatula, wrap the pastry in clingfilm (plastic wrap) and chill for 2 hours.
5. Roll out the pastry on a floured board and then line the prepared tin with it.
6. Prick all over the pastry base with a fork.
7. Make the filling by gently melting the margarine in a saucepan and stirring in the cocoa and golden syrup (corn syrup).
8. Beat the eggs with the brown sugar and rum in another bowl. Stir this into the syrup mixture and add the nuts.
9. Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake for 40 minutes, or until the filling is just set and the pastry is golden.
10. Serve warm.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!