This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
55 g (2 oz) scant 1/4 cup of caster (superfine) sugar
55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup of chopped blanched almonds
1 teaspoon Gluten free cornflour (cornstarch)
4 large free-range egg yolks
300 ml (10 fl oz) 1 1/4 cups of soya milk
1 vanilla pod, split
240 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup of soya cream
1 teaspoon of pure Madagascan vanilla extract
1. Make the praline first by quickly melting the sugar with the almonds in a saucepan until they turn dark golden brown.
2. Leave the mixture to cool. When the praline is cold put it into a plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin until it resembles breadcrumbs (alternatively grind to a powder in a food processor).
3. Now make the ice-cream by quickly mixing the cornflour (cornstarch) with the egg yolks and a little of the milk until you have a smooth paste.
4. Continue adding the milk and then pour the liquid into a saucepan to cook.
5. Add the vanilla pod and then stir continuously until the custard is very thick and hot - but do not boil.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and take out the pod (wash it under warm water, then dry it so that you can re-use it).
7. Now add the cream and blend briefly. mix in the vanilla extract and the praline and leave to cool.
8. Follow the instructions on your ice-cream maker and pour in the custard.
9. Churn until frozen and then serve, or freeze in a scalable container.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!