This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
140 g (5 oz) 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
140 g (5 oz) 3/4 cup of dark Mauritian sugar
2 large free-range eggs
115 g (4 oz) 3/4 cup of rice flour
115 g (4 oz) 3/4 cup of potato flour
285 g (10 oz) 3/4 cup of black treacle (molasses)
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 2/3 cup of plump sultanas (golden raisins)
2 heaped teaspoons of ground ginger
100 g (3 1/2 oz)/1/2 cup of chopped stem ginger
1 tablespoon of ginger wine
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
23 cm (9 inch) square cake tin, greased and lined with baking parchment (wax paper)
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas mark 3
2. In a food processor, beat the margarine and sugar together until pale and creamy.
3. Transfer to a large bowl, beat in the eggs and then add the flours, black treacle (molasses), sultanas (golden raisins), ground ginger and chopped ginger.
4. Add the wine and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and mix thoroughly.
5. Put the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 1 hour.
6. Reduce the heat to 150°C (300°F) Gas mark 2, cover the ginger cake with greased baking parchment (wax paper) and bake for another 45 minutes.
7. Leave the cake in the tin for 20 minutes and then turn out, upside down onto a wire rack to cool.
8. When the cake is cold, peel off the baking parchment (wax paper), wrap the ginger cake in foil and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
8 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!