makes one 2 lb (1 kg) loaf
4 tablespoons warm water
4 fl oz (120 ml) scalded milk
6 fl oz (175 ml) boiling water
3 tbsp (1 1/2 oz) 40 g butter
3 tbsp (25 g) dark Muscovado sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 oz (25 g) fresh yeast or 1 tablespoon dried
1 2/3 cup (175 g) strong plain flour (bread flour)
12 oz (350 g) rye meal
1. In a large mixing bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the 4 tablespoons of water. Leave to stand for 15 minutes for dried yeast 5 min for fresh yeast.
2. Mix together the scalded milk and boiling water, and stir in the butter, sugar and salt. When lukewarm, stir it into the yeast.
3. Stir in the flour and leave the mixture in a warm place for 30 minutes until it begins to bubble up the sides of the bowl.
4. Add the rye meal and knead it in. Then knead the dough on a floured work surface. Cover it and leave it in a warm place for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
5. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) gas mark 6.
6. Knead the dough again and form it into a rectangular loaf.
7. Place it in a 2 lb (1 kg) loaf tin and leave it for 20 minutes in a warm place to prove.
8. Bake the loaf for 45 minutes. or until it is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
9. Cool on a wire rack.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!