1 onion, chopped
4 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
2 oz (60 g) mushrooms, chopped
4 tablespoons white wine
1/2 - 1 teaspoon chopped basil
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
4 x 5 oz (150 g) pieces of skate 'wing'
salt and pepper
1/2 oz (15 g) fresh breadcrumbs
1. Place the onion, tomatoes, mushrooms, wine and herbs in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
2. Reduce the heat to low and add the skate to the saucepan.
3. Cover and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until the skate is cooked.
4. Transfer the skate to a warm ovenproof dish, cover and place in a warm oven.
5. Increase the heat under the saucepan to high and boil rapidly until the sauce is reduced by half.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Spoon the sauce over the skate, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and transfer to a hot grill to brown the breadcrumbs.