This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
makes 2 loaves
455 g (16 oz) 3 1/4 cups of rye flour
310 g (11 oz) 2 1/4 cups of white rice flour
1 teaspoon of salt
14 g (1/2 oz) 1 package of (Wheat free) easy-bake (instant) yeast
300 ml (10 fl oz) 1 1/4 cups of unsweetened apple juice mixed in equal parts with warm water
2 tablespoons of black treacle (molasses)
1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
2 non-stick loaf tins, greased
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
2. Sift together the flours and salt in a bowl. mix in the yeast and make a well in the dry ingredients, then stir in the warm apple juice and water mixture.
3. Dip a tablespoon into boiling water to heat it and then use the spoon to add the treacle (molasses) to the warm mixture and mix until you have a firm dough.
4. Knead thoroughly on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes. divide the mixture between the 2 non-stick loaf tins, cover with clingfilm (plastic wrap), and leave in a warmplace until the dough has doubled in size.
5. Place the tins on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops of the bread with a little water and then the cumin seeds. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven to cool slightly before leaving on a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Serve cold in slices or freeze until needed.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!