This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
2 medium-sized, very ripe bananas, peeled
200 ml (7 fl oz) 3 1/2 cup of pure apple juice
60 ml (2 fl oz) 1/4 cup of lemon juice
140 g (5 oz) 1 cup of buckwheat flour
140 g (5 oz) 1 cup of maize flour
3 teaspoons of Gluten free baking powder
A pinch of salt
2 large free-range egg whites
140 g (5 oz) scant 1 cup of soft (light) brown sugar
30 g (1 oz) 1/3 cup of coarsely grated (DF/GF) dark chocolate
2 teaspoons of pure chocolate extract (fat-free)
1 kg (2.2 lb) non-stick loaf tin, lined with baking parchment (wax paper)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
2. In a small bowl, mash the bananas, apple juice and lemon juice together until completely blended.
3. Sift together the flours, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
4. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, then gradually whisk in the sugar.
5. Add the grated chocolate and chocolate extract to the banana mixture and stir the mixture into the dry ingredients.
6. Now quickly fold in the meringue.
7. Spoon the loaf mixture into the prepared tin and gently smooth over the top.
8. Bake the loaf for 1 hour or until it is firm. (An inserted skewer should come out clean when the loaf is cooked through.)
9. Cool the loaf in the tin, then turn it out onto a wire rack and remove the paper.
10. When the loaf is cold, wrap in foil and store in an airtight container until needed.
26 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!