This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
85 g (3 oz) 6 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
200 g (7 oz) 1 cup of demerara sugar
130 g (4 1/2 oz) generous 3/4 cup of rice flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of Gluten free baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 large free-range eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon of pure Madagascar vanilla extract
1 heaped teaspoon of instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of boiling water
1 tablespoon of (DF/GF) cocoa powder, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of boiling water
55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup of Brazil nuts, roughly chopped and lightly dusted with rice flour
85 g (3 oz) 1/2 cup of (DF/GF) dark chocolate drops or pieces
18 x 25 x 3 cm (7 x 10 x 1 1/4 inch) baking tin, lightly oiled
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas mark 5
2. Heat the margarine and sugar together in a pan until it begins to dissolve, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. mix together the eggs, vanilla extract, coffee and dissolved cocoa in another bowl.
4. Stir the egg mixture into the margarine mixture and then fold in the flour mixture.
5. Lightly stir in the nuts and chocolate drops or pieces, then pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the sides are coming away from the edges of the tin.
7. Leave the cake to cool in the tin.
8. When cold, carefully cut the cake into 12 squares and serve, or store in an airtight container until needed.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!