This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
30 g (1 oz) 2 tablespoons of sugar
130 g (4 1/2 oz) generous 3/4 cup of rice flour
100 g (31/2 oz) 2/3 cup of millet flour
1 tablespoon of Gluten free baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
55 g (2 oz) 1/4 cup of Dairy free margarine
3 teaspoons of rosewater
5 tablespoons of natural soya yogurt (or goat's yogurt, which is not DF), beaten with 3 large eggs
4 tablespoons of redcurrant jelly, warmed in a saucepan
750 ml (25 fl oz) 3 cups of Dairy free vanilla ice-cream
500 g (17 oz) 3 1/2 cups of strawberries, rinsed thoroughly and sliced
23 cm (9 inch) round cake tin, greased, floured and lined with baking parchment (wax paper)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
2. Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl and rub (cut) in the margarine until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Lightly mix the rosewater, yogurt and eggs together and blend into the dry ingredients.
4. Scrape the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Cool and then split open the shortcake with a long knife.
6. Gently heat the redcurrant jelly in a saucepan until melted and then keep warm.
7. Put the shortcake base on a plate and brush with half of the warm redcurrant jelly.
8. When the shortcake is cold, spoon on softened vanilla ice-cream and cover with half of the strawberries.
9. Place the remaining cake on top, add the rest of the strawberries and brush with the warm jelly to glaze.
10. Serve immediately.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!