This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
makes 6 - 12
225 g (8 oz) 1 generous cup of caster (superfine) sugar
225 g (8 oz) 2 1/2 cups of ground almonds
225 g (8 oz) 1 1/2 cups of instant quick-cook polenta (maize)
225 g (8 oz) 1 cup of Dairy free margarine
1 teaspoon of almond essence
for the chocolate topping
140 g (5 oz) of (DF/GF) dark chocolate, broken into pieces
4 tablespoons of weak black coffee
1 teaspoon of sunflower oil
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 3/4 cup of sifted icing (confectioners') sugar
1. A roulade or Swiss roll non-stick baking tin, lined with baking parchment (wax paper)
2. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas mark 3
3. Mix all the shortbread ingredients together in a bowl or a food processor until well blended.
4. Press the mixture evenly into the tin and bake it for 25 minutes until golden and firm to touch.
5. Cool the shortbread in the tin, then turn it out on to a clean surface and remove the paper.
6. Melt the chocolate with the coffee in the microwave and stir in the sunflower oil.
7. Beat in the icing (confectioners') sugar and once it is glossy, spread the chocolate over the shortbread.
8. Make any patterns and squiggles you like to decorate it.
9. Cut the shortbread into fingers or squares and leave it to set in a cool place.
10. Transfer the shortbread to an airtight container until needed.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!