This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
200 g (7 oz) 1 1/3 cups of whole almonds
55 g (2 oz) of (Dairy free/Gluten free) plain chocolate
130 g (4 1/2 oz) 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar
1 teaspoon of pure Madagascan vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of almond essence
1 tablespoon of (Dairy free/Gluten free) cocoa powder
2 large free-range egg whites
icing (confectioners') sugar for dusting your hands and the board
Sheets of rice paper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
2. Bake the almonds for a few minutes until pale gold. Allow them to cool.
3. Gently melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave.
4. Grind the cooled nuts in a food processor to a fine powder.
5. Add the caster (superfine) sugar, vanilla extract, almond essence, cocoa powder, melted chocolate and egg whites and mix to a soft paste.
6. Put plenty of icing (confectioners') sugar on a clean board and roll the mixture into a long sausage.
7. With plenty of icing (confectioners') sugar on your hands, shape slices of the dough into balls the size of walnuts.
8. Arrange the macaroons on sheets of rice paper on some non-stick baking trays and bake for 15 minutes, or until just firm.
9. Cool the cookies slightly and then cut the rice paper around the cookies and cool them on a wire rack.
10. These macaroons are best eaten on the day of baking.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!