140 g (5 oz) 2/3 cup of Dairy free margarine
140 g (5 oz) 3/4 cup of caster (superfine) sugar
2 large free-range eggs, beaten
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup of barley flour
55 g (2 oz) scant 1/2 cup of oat flour (finely process flaked oats if necessary)
2 teaspoons of Gluten free baking powder
45 g (1 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup of ground almonds
for the topping
3 large dessert apples, peeled, quartered, cored and sliced
255 g (9 oz) 2 1/4 cups of fresh or frozen cranberries
115 g (4 oz) 1/2 cup of soft brown sugar
70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup of oat flour
55 g (2 oz) 2/3 cup of ground almonds
55 g (2 oz) 1/4 cup of sunflower margarine
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 heaped teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of ground cardamom
23 cm (9 inch) loose-bottomed cake tin, greased with some Dairy free margarine
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas mark 5
2. Cream the margarine and sugar in a food processor and gradually beat in the eggs.
3. Transfer to a bowl, mix in the lemon zest and fold in the flours and baking powder.
4. Gently stir in the ground almonds and lemon juice and then spread the mixture lightly over the bottom of the cake tin.
5. To make the topping, toss the apples and cranberries with 70 g (2 1/2 oz) 5 tablespoons of the soft brown sugar in a bowl.
6. Spread the fruit over the cake base.
7. Put the remaining soft brown sugar, flour and ground almonds into a bowl and rub in the margarine.
8. Mix in the lemon zest and spices, and spread the mixture over the fruit.
9. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the apples are soft and the streusel browned and crunchy.