3 tbsp oil
4 frozen oven-ready casserole grouse, thawed
4 celery sticks, sliced thickly
250 g button mushrooms
25 g plain flour
600 ml stock
sprig each of thyme and rosemary
4 tbsp double cream
2 tbsp brandy
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large casserole, add the grouse 2 at a time and brown all over. Remove and set aside.
2. Add the vegetables to the casserole and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook until brown, stirring constantly.
3. Blend in the stock, then add the herbs and grouse. Cover and simmer for 11/2 hours, turning the grouse halfway through cooking and basting occasionally. Cool.
4. To freeze: Transfer to a rigid container, cover, label and freeze.
5. To thaw and serve: Leave in the refrigerator overnight, then return to the casserole and simmer for 45 minutes - 1 hour. Stir in the cream, brandy, and salt and pepper. Serve with roast potatoes and broccoli.