200 g (7 oz) peeled cooked Shrimps
1 small onion, thickly sliced
1 small carrot, thickly sliced
1/2 celery stick, thickly sliced
300 ml/3/4 pint milk
1 bay leaf,1 parsley stalk,1 thyme sprig
4 white peppercorns
3 tbsp (25 g) plain flour
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
2 tbsp (30 ml) single cream
150 g/5 oz Cheddar cheese, grated
juice of 1/2 lemon
for the short crust pastry
1 cup (110 g) plain flour (All purpose)
1.25 ml/1/4 tsp salt
2 oz (50 g) margarine
flour for rolling out
1. Combine the onion, carrot, celery and milk in a saucepan. Add the herbs and spices, with salt to taste. Heat to simmering point, cover, turn off the heat and allow to stand for 30 minutes to infuse.
2. Set the oven at 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Make the pastry. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough cold water to make a stiff dough. Press the dough together with your fingertips.
3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line an 18 cm/7 inch flan tin or ring placed on a baking sheet. Line the pastry with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake 'blind' for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile finish making the filling. Strain the flavoured milk into a measuring jug, discarding the solids in the strainer.
5. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook over low heat for 2 - 3 minutes without allowing the mixture to colour. Gradually add the flavoured milk, stirring constantly.
6. Raise the heat to moderate, stirring until the mixture thickens. Stir in the cream and half the cheese, then add the Shrimps. Mix well. Finally add the lemon juice.
7. Remove the flan tin from the oven, take out the paper and beans and return the flan shell to the oven for 5 minutes. Pour the Shrimp mixture into the flan shell, top with the remaining cheese and brown under a moderate grill.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!