serves: 6 - 8
25 g butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped
750 g Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and sliced
600 ml semi-skimmed milk
1 vegetable stock cube made with 600 ml boiling water
25 g cornflour
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp single cream
1. Melt the butter in a large heavy based saucepan and cook the onion until softened but not coloured.
2. Add the garlic, artichokes and milk, cover the saucepan and simmer gently for 8 - 10 minutes.
3. Pour in the vegetable stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Process in a liquidiser or food processor until smooth then return to a clean saucepan.
5. In a small dish, blend the cornflour with 2 tsps water and stir in a few spoonfuls of soup, return this mixture to the saucepan and bring to the boil whilst stirring continuously.
6. Remove from the heat, season to taste, stir in the parsley and garnish with cream.