1 kg chicken breast and thigh meat, cut into 2.5 cm pieces
1.2 litres coconut milk, made from 175 g desiccated coconut
500 g small new potatoes, scrubbed
4 shallots or 1 medium size onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
10 cm piece of lemon grass, outer leaves discarded, chopped
2.5 cm piece of fresh galingal, peeled and chopped
2 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tbsp roasted coriander seeds
1 tbsp roasted cumin seeds
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
5 fresh green chillies, de-seeded and chopped
1 green pepper (optional), de-seeded and chopped
1 tsp chopped coriander roots or stalks (optional)
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp taramind water or lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Put all the ingredients for the paste in a blender or food processor with 3 x 1 tbsps of the coconut milk, and blend until smooth.
2. Transfer this paste into a saucepan, bring to the boil, then stir all the time for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the chicken pieces and stir until all the pieces are well coated with the paste.
4. Turn down the heat, cover the pan and let it simmer for 4 minutes.
5. Uncover, stir again and add the remaining coconut milk.
6. Simmer, stirring frequently, for 40 minutes.
7. Add the new potatoes, and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are done.
8. Serve hot with plain boiled rice.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!