1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
250 g pack closed cup mushrooms, wiped and quartered
2 tbsp balti curry paste
400 ml can coconut milk
200 ml chicken stock
6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, diced
100 g stoned, dried dates, chopped
8 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bananas, peeled and sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Fry the onion in the olive oil in a large, deep frying pan over a moderate heat for 3 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 5 minutes or until softened and browned.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, apart from the bananas and seasoning, and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the bananas and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Remove any thyme stalks and season to taste.
6. Serve with Thai-style fragrant rice.