1 loin of lamb, boned, rolled and tied
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon flour
125 g (4 oz) button mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1 beef stock cube
1/3 cup cream
for the marinade
2 cups red wine
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
1 sprig of thyme
1. Place loin in a casserole dish.
2. Mix marinade ingredients and pour over lamb loin in casserole dish.
3. Marinate for several hours in refrigerator, turning lamb occasionally.
4. Remove loin from marinade and reduce marinade in a saucepan to half original quantity. Strain and keep aside.
5. Place lamb on a rack in roasting dish and rub fat surface with salt and pepper.
6. Roast in a moderate oven 180-190°C (350-375°F) for 1 hour. Remove to platter and keep warm.
7. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon fat from dish.
8. Place dish over heat and stir in flour, cook 2 minutes.
9. Add reduced marinade and stir constantly until bubbling.
10. Saute mushrooms in butter and add with crumbled stock cube.
11. Stir to blend and cook sauce until bubbling again.
12. Stir in cream, adjust seasoning and heat through without boiling again.
13. Pour into sauce boat and serve with lamb carved in thick slices, and accompanying vegetables.
20 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!