serves: 4 - 6
1 whole snapper, about 1.5 kg (3 lb)
2 tablespoons lemon juice salt
freshly ground pepper
90 g (3 oz) butter
125 g (4 oz) mushrooms, sliced
4 shallots, chopped
1/2 cup white breadcrumbs
10 - 12 fresh or bottled oysters
1. Clean and scale fish if necessary, rinse and dry with paper towels.
2. Rub each side of fish with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and lightly season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Meanwhile melt half the butter in a pan and gently saute the mushrooms and shallots.
4. Add breadcrumbs and cook a further 2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and add drained oysters and remaining lemon juice.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Stuff the fish with the mixture and sew up the opening with cotton or fine string.
8. Place fish on a well-buttered piece of aluminium foil, dot with remaining butter and wrap fish, sealing package with double folds.
9. Place in a roasting dish and cook in a moderately hot oven 190-200°C (375-400°F) for 40 minutes or until cooked.
10. Time will depend on thickness of fish.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!