1. Sift the flour and salt with 1/2 cup of the sugar.
2. Rub in the butter with the fingertips and mix to a soft dough with the beaten egg and milk.
3. Turn onto a floured board, knead lightly and cut into two.
4. Line a greased 23 cm (9 inch) sandwich tin with half the mixture, spread with apple pulp.
5. Sprinkle with the sultanas, half the cinnamon and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
6. Cover with the remainder of the dough.
7. Glaze with melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon and extra caster sugar (about 2 teaspoons).
8. Bake in a moderate oven 180-190°C (350-375°F) for 40 to 50 minutes.
9. Serve warm or cold.