Calories per serving 395.
150 g (5 1/2 oz) plain white flour plus 2 teaspoons for rolling
a pinch of salt
75 g (2 3/4 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
for the filling
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 onions, sliced thinly
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 tablespoons vegetable stock
150 ml (5 fl oz) skimmed milk
125 g (4 1/2 oz) low fat soft cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/fan oven 180°C.To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Rub in the margarine using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix in enough cold water to make a soft dough.
2. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line a 20 cm (8 inch) loose bottomed flan tin. Line the base of the pastry with non stick baking parchment and fill the flan up with baking beans. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, and then remove the beans and paper and bake 'blind' for a further 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium saucepan and add the onions, garlic and stock. Cover and cook gently for 15 minutes until the onions have softened. Remove the cover, turn up the heat and cook until the liquid evaporates.
4. Whisk together the eggs, milk, soft cheese and seasoning.
5. Arrange the cooked onion mixture over the base of the pastry case.
6. Carefully pour the egg mixture over the top and return the flan to the oven for 20 minutes, until the filling is set and golden.
7. Cut into wedges to serve.
78 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!