makes 16 squares.
75 g (2 3/4 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
100 g (3 1/2 oz) demerara sugar
2 bananas, mashed
2 tablespoons reduced sugar marmalade
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
175 g (6 oz) self raising white flour
for the topping
150 g (5 1/2 oz) low fat soft cheese
25 g (1 oz) banana chips, crumbled
grated zest of 1 orange
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/fan oven 160°C.
2. Line a non stick 20 cm (8 inch) loose bottomed square cake tin with non stick baking parchment.
3. Cream together the margarine and sugar, and then add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well.
4. Mix in the mashed bananas, marmalade and nutmeg.
5. Sift the flour into the bowl and fold it thoroughly into the banana mixture.
6. Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin, levelling it with the back of a spoon.
7. Bake for 40 minutes, until well risen and springy to the touch.
8. Carefully transfer the cake to a cooling rack and allow it to cool completely.
9. When cool, gently beat the soft cheese a little to soften it.
10. Spread it over the top of the cake and sprinkle the surface with banana chips and orange zest.
11. Cut it into 16 squares.