4 small eggplants
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, finely chopped
500 g (1 Ib) minced steak
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
salt and pepper
1 tomato, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1. Cut eggplants in halves lengthways, scoop out centres and chop.
2. Melt half the butter in a saucepan, add onion, chopped eggplant, minced steak, parsley and seasonings.
3. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from heat and divide mixture between halved eggplants.
5. Melt remaining butter, mix with tomato and water and season to taste.
6. Pour into a large shallow ovenproof dish, Arrange halved eggplants in a single layer in dish.
7. Bake in a moderate oven 180-190°C (350-375°F) for 30 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, beat egg and milk together, add cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. Remove dish from oven and place some cheese mixture on top of each eggplant, Return to oven for approximately 15 minutes or until eggplants are tender and cheese is golden brown on top,
10. Serve immediately.