makes one 1 lb (450 g) loaf
1 cup (110 g) ordinary plain flour
1 cup (110 g) whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda (Baking soda)
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 oz (50 g) bran
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter in small pieces
1 tablespoon golden syrup (substitute light corn syrup)
4 tablespoons boiling water
3/4 cup (150 ml) 5 fl oz milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas mark 4.
2. Place the flours, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar, salt, bran and sugar in a large mixing bowl and toss together.
3. Place the butter and golden syrup in a jug and stir in the boiling water. Stir until the butter has melted. Stir the mixture into the dry ingredients in the bowl.
4. Stir in the milk to make a thick batter, then spoon the batter into a greased billy, or into a greased 7 inch (18 cm) diameter cake tin.
5. Cover with a greased lid or foil.
6. Bake the loaf for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
7. Turn the loaf on to a wire rack to cool.