A simple fish stock which can be used for poaching. Make sure the fish trimmings are free of gills, which can bitter the taste somewhat.
makes 1 litre (1 3/4) pints
fish bones and trimmings
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
1 small onion, sliced
2 celery sticks, sliced
4 white peppercorns
1 bouquet garni
1. Break up any bones and wash the fish trimmings, if used.
2. Put the bones, trimmings or heads in a saucepan and cover with 1 litre (1 3/4 pints) cold water. Add the salt.
3. Bring the liquid to the boil and add the vegetables, peppercorns and bouquet garni.
4. Lower the heat, cover and simmer gently for 30 - 40 minutes. Do not cook the stock for longer than 40 minutes or it may develop a bitter taste.
5. Strain the stock through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan or measuring jug and use as required.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!