Note: Cake may be glazed with warmed honey before serving.
1 1/2 cups shelled Brazil nuts
1 cup pecan or walnut halves
1/2 cup blanched almonds
1 1/2 cups stoned dates
1/2 cup seeded raisins
1/2 cup coarsely chopped glace fruits (apricots, pineapple, figs)
3/4 cup red and green glace cherries
1 cup plain flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon brandy
1. All nuts and fruits should be left whole, except for the larger glace fruits which should be cut into chunky pieces.
2. Grease a 25 x 15 cm (10 x 6 inch) loaf tin and line base and sides with greaseproof paper.
3. Brush paper lining well with melted butter.
4. Place nuts and fruit in a mixing bowl.
5. Sift dry ingredients on top of fruit, add sugar and stir.
6. Beat eggs and stir into fruit and nut mixture with brandy until blended.
7. Spoon into lined tin.
8. Bake in a slow oven 150-160°C (300-325°F) for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until golden brown.
9. Invert onto rack, peel off paper and leave until cool.
10. Soak a piece of sterilised, dry muslin or cheesecloth in brandy and wrap cake in this.
11. Place in a plastic bag and store in a sealed container for 3 weeks.
12. Soak cloth in brandy once a week. Slice thinly to serve.
80 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!