1. Slice the eggplants without peeling, sprinkle with salt and leave 30 minutes.
2. Dry the slices and fry quickly in a frying pan in oil until coloured.
3. Place them into a round cake tin or ovenproof casserole, as they come from the frying pan, layering them with tomato paste or sauce and yoghurt. Season layers with pepper.
4. Cover the tin or casserole and bake in a moderate oven 180-190° C (350-375°F) for 35 to 40 minutes.
5. Turn out for serving.
1/4 cup oil
1 onion, very finely chopped
2 bacon rashers, diced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups chopped, peeled tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 cup stock or water
1 bay leaf
1 small onion, studded with 2 cloves
pinch of dried basil
2 teaspoons brown sugar
salt to taste
freshly ground pepper
5 cm (2 inch) strip lemon peel
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Heat oil in large, heavy-based saucepan.
2. Add onion, bacon, garlic and carrot.
3. Saute gently for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in flour, cook 1 minute, then add tomatoes and tomato paste.
5. Gradually blend in stock or water. Cook, stirring constantly until sauce boils and thickens.
6. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer gently for 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
7. Remove bay leaf, clove-studded onion and lemon peel.
8. Adjust seasoning and serve as it is, or strain through a sieve if a smooth sauce is required.