1 cup plain flour
1 cup water
125 g (4 oz) butter
2 teaspoons sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
whipped sweetened cream flavoured with vanilla essence
1. Sift flour onto a square of paper.
2. Place water, butter and sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
3. Quickly pour flour into boiling liquid, stirring rapidly with a wooden spoon.
4. Stir over gentle heat until mixture leaves sides of pan.
5. Cool for 2 minutes.
6. Gradually add eggs to mixture and beat until smooth and shiny.
1. Spoon or pipe smooth high mounds well apart on a greased baking tray.
2. Bake in a hot oven 200-230°C (400-450°F) for 20 minutes, reduce to moderate 180-190°C (350-375°F) and cook for further 10 to 15 minutes until crisp.
3. Cool puffs on wire rack.
4. Cut open and remove any soft dough.
5. Fill with whipped cream and dust with icing sugar.
1. Using a pastry bag fitted with a 1 cm (1/2 inch) tube, pipe choux pastry onto greased baking tray in 8 cm (3 inch) lengths.
2. Bake in hot oven 200-230°C (400-450°F) for 15 minutes, reduce to moderate 180-190°C (350-375°F) and cook for further 10 minutes.
3. Cool, split and fill with whipped cream. Spread tops with melted chocolate. Makes 30.