500 g (1 lb) cooked prawns
1/2 cup French dressing (see below)
3 oranges, peeled
500 g (1 lb) roast pork, sliced
1 fresh, ripe pineapple, peeled
1 cup cottage cheese
2 tablespoons flaked Brazil nuts, toasted
Mayonnaise (page 16) for serving
1. Shell and devein prawns, reserving some unshelled prawns for garnish.
2. Marinate shelled prawns in French dressing for 30 minutes.
3. Cut oranges into slices or segments, cut sliced pork into strips and toss together.
4. Cut pineapple into 12 slices, remove inner core.
5. Drain prawns with a slotted spoon, arrange on centre of platter with pork and oranges.
6. Top pineapple slices with scoops of cottage cheese and sprinkle with flaked, toasted nuts.
7. Arrange around prawns, pork and oranges.
8. Garnish with reserved prawns and serve with mayonnaise.
9. If desired salad may be arranged on a bed of crisp salad greens.
1. The proportions for French dressing are 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar with dry mustard, salt and freshly ground black pepper added to taste.
2. Make up a quantity using 3/4 cup good salad oil and 1/4 cup vinegar (use wine, white, malt or tarragon vinegar), add seasonings and shake well in a screwtop jar.
3. Use required amount, store remainder in a cool place.
4. A pinch of sugar or chopped fresh herbs may be added if desired.
5. If you like the flavour of garlic, add a halved clove to the dressing.