6 - 8 small, whole onions
1 cup chicken stock
2 carrots, sliced
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup milk
1 onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons plain flour
1 chicken stock tablet
3 cups diced, cooked chicken
salt and pepper
pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 cup cream
284 g (10 oz) packet flaky pastry mix
accompaniments (you may need these)
1. Simmer whole onions in chicken stock for 10 minutes, add carrots and peas and cook until just tender.
2. Drain, measure stock and make up to 1 cup with water. Combine with milk.
3. Saute chopped onion in butter until soft, stir in flour and cook gently for 1 minute.
4. Add combined liquid and stir constantly until thickened and bubbling.
5. Crumble in stock tablet and stir until blended.
6. Add diced chicken and cooked vegetables, season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg and blend in cream.
7. Pour into an 8 or 9 cup deep pie dish.
8. Make pastry according to packet directions, roll out to an oval 4 cm (1 1/2 inches) larger than top of dish.
9. Trim off this excess and place around moistened rim of dish.
10. Moisten pastry and place top in position. Press edges to seal and trim.
11. Make decorations from trimmings and place on pie.
12. Glaze top with milk and cut a hole in the centre.
13. Bake in a hot oven 200-230°C (400-450°F) for 25 to 30 minutes until cooked.
8 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!