6 oz (175g) butter beans
1 lb (450g) pie pork
1/2 oz (12 1/2 g) dripping
2 onions, chopped
1 lb (450g) red cabbage, shredded
1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 pt (300ml) water
1 level tsp salt
2 tbsp vinegar
1 rounded tbsp moist, dark brown sugar Fresh chopped parsley (to garnish)
1. Put the beans in a bowl, cover with cold water and leave to soak overnight.
2. The following day, drain off the water. Cut the pork into 1 in. (2.5cm) cubes.
3. Melt the dripping in a large saucepan and fry the pork and onions for 5 minutes.
4. Trim and finely shred the cabbage.
5. Add the butter beans to the pan with the water and bring to the boil. Stir in the cabbage and apple with the salt and cloves.
6. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for about 1 1/4 hours or until the butter beans and pork are tender. Remove the cloves and stir in the sugar and vinegar.
7. Taste and check seasoning. Turn into a warm serving dish, garnish with chopped parsley and serve very hot.
9 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!