350 g (12 oz) mushrooms, sliced
50 g (2 oz) butter
2 young partridges
watercress to garnish
40 g (1 1/2 oz) butter
40 g (1 1/2 oz) flour
450 ml (3/4 pint) stock
scant 1/2 (us) cup (100 ml) sherry
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry 225 g (8 oz) of the mushrooms until they are tender.
2. Season with salt and pepper, then use the mushrooms to stuff the partridges.
3. Place the partridges in a casserole and roast in a preheated moderately hot oven 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6 until the birds are browned.
4. Meanwhile, make the sauce.
5. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, then gradually stir in the stock.
6. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring, until thickened.
7. Stir in the sherry, salt and pepper.
8. Pour the sauce over the partridges and cook for a further 45 minutes or until the birds are tender.
9. Add the remaining mushrooms for the last 15 minutes' cooking.
10. Serve garnished with watercress.