4 hard dessert apples
3 sticks of celery
2 oz (50g) walnuts
4 tbsp mayonnaise
4 tbsp double or whipping cream, lightly whipped
A little lemon juice
8 oz (225g) cooked roast beef, cut into strips
Small sprigs of watercress (to garnish)
1. Wipe the apples. Leave them unpeeled, but quarter, core and cut them into small dice and put in a bowl. Finely slice the celery, coarsely chop the nuts and add them to the bowl.
2. Blend the mayonnaise with the cream, add the lemon juice and season with plenty of salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Stir into the apple mixture and mix thoroughly so the apples are well coated to prevent them from discolouring.
4. Cover and leave to stand in a cool place for at least 1 hour to allow the flavours to blend.
5. When ready to serve, gently fold in the strips of beef. Pile into a serving dish and garnish with the watercress.