1 kg (2 lb) boneless lamb
2 tablespoons ghee
2 large onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1-2 tablespoons curry powder
small piece fresh root ginger
1/2 cup chopped capsicum
1/2 cup stock
1 cup coconut milk (see below)
salt to taste
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Trim lamb and cut into cubes.
2. Heat ghee in a heavy-based saucepan and saute onion and garlic until onion is soft.
3. Stir in curry powder to taste and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add bruised ginger and capsicum and cook a little longer.
5. Increase heat and add lamb. Cook, stirring often until meat is browned.
6. Reduce heat and add stock, coconut milk and salt.
7. Cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours or until lamb is tender and sauce has thickened.
8. Remove ginger root. Stir in lemon juice to taste and serve over fluffy boiled rice with traditional curry accompaniments.
for the coconut milk
1. Place 1 cup desiccated coconut with 1 1/4 cups water and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan and bring slowly to simmering point.
2. Strain through a fine sieve into a basin, pressing coconut firmly with the back of a spoon to extract all liquid.
3. Coconut may be returned to saucepan with a half cup of water and process repeated to extract more milk if necessary.
4. Discard coconut.