1 (1.5-kg (3 lb) grey mullet
3 - 4 tablespoons natural (plain) yogurt or fromage blanc (optional)
for the stuffing
1 onion, finely chopped
4 oz (100 g) pine nuts
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 cup (100 g) 4 oz chopped apple
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
3/4 cup (50 g) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten, to bind
a little dry white wine or cider (optional)
1. Scaling fish can be done by your fishmonger and ask him to clean the fish too.
2. Prepare the stuffing by mixing all the ingredients listed together and moisten, if necessary, with a little dry white wine or cider.
3. Lightly oil or butter a sheet of aluminium foil, and place the stuffed mullet in the centre.
4. Make a loose parcel around the fish, pouring in a little wine or cider before you seal it.
5. Place on a baking tray or dish and bake in a moderately hot oven 200°c (400°f) gas 6 for about 25 to 30 minutes, until the flesh is firm and white and comes cleanly away from the bone.
6. Stir the yogurt or fromage blanc into the cooking juices for a delicious sauce, if liked
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!