Calories per serving 165.
200 g (7 oz) baby spinach leaves
a pinch of ground nutmeg
25 g (1 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
25 g (1 oz) plain white flour
200 ml (7 fl oz) skimmed milk
125 g (4 1/2 oz) low fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the spinach in a medium saucepan with the nutmeg and 2 tablespoons of water Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes until the spinach has wilted. Drain, squeeze out any excess water and chop the spinach finely.
2. Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan and stir in the flour Gradually add the milk and cook, whisking until you have a thick, smooth sauce. Stir in the chopped spinach and seasoning, and then whisk in the egg yolks.
3. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/l90°C/fan oven I 70°C. Line a 23 cm x 28 cm (9 inch x I I inch) Swiss roll tin with non stick baking parchment.
4. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold them into the spinach mixture and then turn it all into the prepared tin, and bake for I 2 minutes.
5. Turn the roulade out on to a clean sheet of non stick baking parchment and peel away the parchment lining the base. Roll up the roulade like a Swiss roll, using the clean sheet of baking parchment to guide it along. Allow it to cool for 30 minutes.
6. Mash the soft cheese to soften it slightly. Carefully unroll the roulade and spread it with the soft cheese, and then re-roll. Serve cut into slices.
13 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!