Calories per serving 395.
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
150 g (5 1/2 oz) dried, split red lentils
300 ml (10 fl oz) vegetable stock
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
420 g can of chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato puree
450 g (1 lb) potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly (5 mm/1/4 inch)
1 aubergine, sliced thinly
25 g (1 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
25 g (1 oz) plain white flour
300 ml (10 fl oz) skimmed milk
a pinch of ground nutmeg
25 g (1 oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, and add the onion and garlic. Cover and cook over a low heat for about 8-IO minutes until the onion has softened, but not browned.
2. Stir in the lentils, stock, marjoram, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and seasoning, and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the lentils are tender and have absorbed most of the liquid.
3. Meanwhile, cook the potato slices in lightly salted, boiling water for 10 minutes, until tender Drain well and set aside.
4. Cook the aubergine slices in lightly salted, boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
5. Heat the margarine in a small saucepan and stir in the flour Gradually add the milk and cook, stirring, until you have a smooth sauce. Beat in the nutmeg and Parmesan cheese.
6. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/1 80°C/fan oven I 60°C Spoon the lentil mixture into an ovenproof dish and top with the sliced potatoes followed by the aubergine. Spoon the cheese sauce over the top.
7. Top with tomato slices and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Cut the moussaka into squares to serve.
92 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!