makes 10 slices.
low fat cooking spray
350 g (12 oz) cooking apples, peeled, cored and grated coarsely
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
150 g (5 1/2 oz) self raising white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
50 g (1 3/4 oz) demerara sugar
50 g (1 3/4 oz) sultanas
50 ml (2 fl oz) sunflower oil
scant 1/2 (us) cup (100 ml) skimmed milk
2 tablespoons reduced sugar apricot jam
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/fan oven 160°C.
2. Spray an 850 g ml (1 1/2 pint) ring mould with a little low fat cooking spray.
3. Mix the grated apple with the lemon juice.
4. Sift the flour baking powder and cinnamon into a mixing bowl. Stir in the grated apple mixture, sugar and sultanas.
5. Make a well in the centre of the mixture.
6. Beat together the oil, eggs, milk and jam. Pour this into the well in the dry ingredients and mix everything together
7. Spoon the mixture into the prepared mould and level the surface with the back of a spoon.
8. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes, or until the cake is browned, firm and springy to the touch.
9. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then loosen the edges with a palette knife, and turn it out on to a cooling rack.