1 chicken, about 1.5 kg (3 lb)
3/4 cup Spanish olive oil
500 g (1 lb) chipolata sausages, pricked
2 onions, sliced
1 large green capsicum, seeded and sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup chopped, peeled tomatoes
2 1/2 cups long grain rice
1/4 teaspoon powdered saffron
8 cups boiling chicken stock
1/2 cup young green peas
250 g (8 oz) squid, cleaned and cut into rings
salt and pepper
8 - 10 canned artichoke hearts
1/2 - 1 cup cooked shelled prawns
1/2 - 1 cup cooked shelled mussels
1. Cut chicken into 8 or 10 pieces.
2. Heat oil in paella or large frying pan, add chicken and sausages, fry until evenly browned.
3. Remove from pan.
4. Saute onion in remaining oil, add capsicum and garlic, cook a little longer, then add tomatoes.
5. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes and return chicken and sausages to pan.
6. Add rice and stir until golden brown.
7. Mix saffron with boiling stock and add with peas and squid to pan.
8. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. Stir well and allow paella to cook without stirring again.
10. While paella is cooking, add artichoke hearts, prawns and mussels.
11. Place them in the rice so that they heat through and look attractive.
12. Cook paella over a moderate heat until all the liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes.
13. Serve from pan.
29 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!