1 kg (2 1/4 lb) lean beef (brisket, flank or topside)
3 litre (5 1/4 Pt) water
salt and pepper
1 carrot, pared and quartered
1 turnip, peeled and quartered
1 onion, skinned and quartered
1 parsnip, peeled and quartered
2 small leeks, quartered and washed
2 stalks of celery, trimmed and quartered
1 small cabbage, washed and halved
30 ml (2 level tbsps) seed pearl tapioca
1. Tie the meat securely to keep it in one piece, put into a large saucepan, add the water and 10 ml (2 level tsps) salt, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
2. Add the vegetables (except the cabbage) and the bouquet garni and cook for another 2 hours.
3. Put the cabbage into the pan and continue cooking for a final hour, or until it is soft.
4. Strain off most of the liquid, put into a pan, bring to the boil, sprinkle in the tapioca and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the tapioca clears.
5. The meat can be served separately, with the vegetables and any remaining cooking liquid.
Adjust seasoning before serving.