175 g (6 oz) lentils
1.4 litre (2 1/2 pt) stock
1 clove garlic, skinned and crushed
salt and pepper
200 g (7 oz) lean bacon rashers, rinded and diced
226 g (8 oz) can tomatoes
4 oz (100 g) onions, skinned and chopped
1 lb (450 g) potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
crisply fried bacon rolls, chopped parsley, grated cheese or croutons For garnish
1. Wash the lentils and put them in a saucepan with the stock. Add the garlic, clove, salt, pepper, bacon, tomatoes and onion.
2. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 1 hour, until the lentils and bacon are soft.
3. Add the potatoes and cook for a further 20 minutes.
4. Remove the clove, pour the soup into a sieve or electric blender and puree it until smooth.
5. Add the lemon juice and re-heat to serving temperature.
25 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!