3/4 stick + 1 tbsp (3 1/2 oz) 100 g butter
1 onion, skinned and finely chopped
2 carrots, pared and finely diced
2 potatoes, peeled and finely diced
8 oz (225 g) cauliflower, in florets
2 sticks celery, finely diced
4 cups (32 fl oz) 900 ml chicken stock
ground black pepper
4 rashers lean bacon
4 small slices white bread
4 oz (100 g) Gouda cheese
1. Melt 50 g (2 oz) butter in a large pan and gently fry all the vegetables tor 5 minutes.
2. Add the stock, bring to the boil and cover, simmer for 20 minutes; season.
3. Melt the remaining 50 g (2 oz) butter.
4. Remove the rind from the bacon, roughly chop it and fry gently for 4-6 minutes. Drain well before adding to the soup.
5. Fry the bread in the pan until crisp and golden. Drain well on kitchen paper.
6. Place the soup in a flameproof tureen or casserole and arrange the bread to float on top.
7. Cover the bread with sliced cheese and grill until the cheese melts and browns slightly.
22 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!