6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 aubergines (eggplant), diced
3 very ripe plum tomatoes, peeled and diced
12 handfuls long grain rice
2 tbsp dried or^egano
salt and pepper
1. Heat half the oil in a pan and saute the garlic for about 3 minutes, or until translucent.
2. Add the aubergine (eggplant) and saute for about 5 minutes over a low heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste, cover and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated.
4. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add a little salt and the rice.
5. Cook for about 12 minutes, until al dente, then drain and mix with the remaining oil.
6. Pile the rice on a platter, pour the aubergines on top, sprinkle with the oregano and serve immediately.