serves 5 - 6
1 haunch of venison
1 tablespoon flour
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt soured cream or natural yogurt
for the marinade
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt red wine
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml water
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped carrot
little chopped celery
few mushrooms, sliced
1 bay leaf
1. Mix together the ingredients for the marinade and add the venison.
2. Cover and leave in a cool place, not the refrigerator, for 36 hours to 2 days. Turn from time to time.
3. When ready to cook, drain the venison. Spit roast if possible, with the marinade in a tray beneath to catch the meat drippings. Baste frequently with the marinade.
4. Alternatively, roast in a preheated moderately hot oven 190°C (375°F) Gas Mark 5 allowing 35 minutes per pound.
5. Baste occasionally with the marinade.
6. Strain the marinade into a saucepan.
7. Mix the flour with the soured cream or yogurt and stir into the marinade.
8. Bring to the boil, stirring well, and simmer until thickened.
9. Serve this with the venison.